How do I organise a church wedding?

  • Contact the Parish Administrator here. Initially you will be asked to meet with a member of our clergy and fill in an application form. About six months before your wedding, there will be a second meeting to plan the service in detail. 
  • Usually a wedding must be preceded by the calling of Banns, both in St Margaret’s and in the parish where you live. On three consecutive Sundays your intention to marry is announced: it’s a kind of medieval planning permission which still survives in English law. Most couples value the experience of going to church together to hear their banns read: it is not obligatory for you to attend.
  • If one partner is a national of a foreign country outside the EU, you cannot be married by banns, but must have a licence. The clergy will explain how you secure this. There may be other circumstances in which marriage by licence is the better option.
  • Each year the statutory fees for a church wedding are adjusted. The Parish Administrator will have all the up-to-date charges and fees. Additional fees are payable to the organist, choir and bell-ringers, should you choose to use their services.